Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Friday, April 20, 2007

Surgery April 25

It's official. I'm going under the knife again for my feet. Next Wednesday I'll undergo bilateral (both feet) surgery with a new podiatrist to remove a neuroma in each foot. I had an operation on both feet last year, but my first podiatrist simply "decompressed" the nerves. That is, he snipped around them to relieve pressure on them. Unfortunately, they seem to have grown since then, and the pain is becoming more frequent and unbearable. I get 10- to 20-second long throbs of pain that are totally incapacitating. They make me want to jump off a building or something to stop the pain.

Removing a nerve will result in some numbness in the foot, but I'll gladly trade some numbness for these shots of pain. The entire procedure will take maybe 30 minutes, but the healing will take at least two weeks or more. The stitches will come out in 7-10 days, and then I'll be hobbling around for awhile after that.

Thank goodness for decent healthcare. Without it, I'd probably be dead by now.





No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching