Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Friday, August 1, 2008

Transfer files over wireless network

Finally got the network to behave and transferred multiple files from one Mac to another. After a few transfers, I noted that the transfer speed over the wireless Apple network is in the ballpark of 6mbps to 10mbps. That's ok, but the FireWire 400 should clock at 400mbps. The iMac has a FireWire 800, but the MacBook doesn't.

Once I figured out how fast, or slow, the transfers were going, I decided to quit and go ahead and purchase a FireWire cable. Which I will do tomorrow.

My hope is that I can remember all the steps it takes to transfer files from one computer to another over the Apple wireless network, in case I ever need to again.

For my own memory, here are the steps.

Let's say I'm transferring music files from the iMac to the MacBook. (All these steps are predicated on the fact that you have already set up
Sharing and Network sections correctly, along with particular Users on each computer in System Preferences, which I have done, and which should stay in place). If I get lost, look up "Transferring files between two computers using FireWire" in MacHelp.

1) Click and drag the music file(s) from the iMac iTunes Music folder to the Shared MacBook's Admin's Public Folder, then into the Drop Box. Drop them there.

2) On the MacBook, in Finder, click on the hard drive.

3) MacBook: Click Users->(my name)->Public->Drop Box, and there the music files are.

4) MacBook: Click and drag the music files from that location in Step 3 to the MacBook Music folder->iTunes->iTunes Music and drop them there.

5) MacBook: Go to iTunes, select File->Add to Library.

6) MacBook: Navigate to where the music files were dropped in Step 4.

7) MacBook: Click the music files, then click Open, and the music is added to iTunes.

8) MacBook: Navigate back to the Drop Box from Step 3 and delete the files that are still there.

It should be much simpler when I get the FireWire cable (hopefully), using
Target Disc Mode. Shoot, even USB would be a lot faster than using the wireless network. But it's good to know it works.

When on the road, and I want to transfer files quickly from one computer to another, I will use the FireWire cable and
Target Disk Mode, because there's no guaranteeing that you'll be able to tweak their wireless network properly to allow wireless transfers.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching