Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Skype/Google/Qik

Do you Skype?  The wife and I have just recently signed up for the service.  You can make Skype-to-Skype video and audio calls for FREE.  Now, I know that this is not exactly a new technology.  We're not first-adopters.  We let the technology get settled and refined before we dive in.  

We hooked up with my nephew, his wife, and their 3-month old baby girl recently.  We were in Arkansas, they were in D.C.  The immediacy of a live video signal is pretty cool.   That was a decent video signal, and we weren't really on a very high-speed internet signal.  Now, back at home, we clock at 25Mbps, and the signal should be much better.

Do I know you?  Do you Skype?  E-mail me.  We might just be tempted to pay them a few bucks to be able to have a group video.  

The only real drawback to Skype that I see is that it is ultimately owned by that ultimate of sleazebags, Rupert Murdoch.  



Alternatives are Google Talk (all you need is a Gmail account and a webcam) (and of course a high-speed internet connection) ...


and Qik Video (an Android app), also free and they don't benefit Republicans.  (I think)

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching