Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Friday, September 5, 2014

acupuncture

In the ongoing effort to find some relief for my feet, today I initiated a series of acupuncture treatments.  

This will be the second acupuncturist I have tried in Houston.  The first one, back in 2010, I plucked out of the Yellow Pages because they were relatively close to the house.  My practitioner, a Caucasian, caused me a lot of pain when inserting the needles, and I bled all over the place.  After four sessions with him, I gave it up, bruised and bloody, and I saw no improvement.  The entire experience seemed ... less than optimal.

This time, I got a reference to a different clinic from a friend who reported dramatic benefits and pain reduction from her recent bout with shingles.  This business is run by a Chinese couple, Wen-Lung and Jo-Mei.  

Wen-Lung, or "Andrew" for short, after an initial consultation, placed fourteen needles in total: three in each foot, and four in each leg. I felt only the tiniest pinprick sensation and not a drop of blood.

It took him only about 30 seconds to put all of them in.  He then turned on a heat lamp, pointed it at my feet, turned off the room light, and left the room, closing the door behind him.

So I had to take some pictures.

natural light, with heat lamp

Is it possible that the 30 minutes or so of forced relaxation does you about as much good as the actual acupuncture treatment?  

using a flash

The timer dinged, and the heat lamp turned off. Soon the assistant entered the room, turned on the light, pulled out the needles, and I was on my way.  After paying, of course.  An unorthodox treatment, for sure, but I keep an open mind.  

Time will tell.  They say you can't really expect benefits after only one treatment, so after this first good session, I will go back for maybe five visits, and then we'll see.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching