Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Saturday, March 27, 2010

AIDS Walk

A couple of weekends ago the wife and I joined the AIDS Walk Houston, a 5k hike to raise money and awareness.  


Before the walk began, the whole Sam Houston Park, adjacent to downtown, was totally packed with people.  I never heard an official estimate on crowd size, but my guess is we had at least 15,000 people out walking.  All ages, all sizes, all colors and all shapes.  
 


My company was one of the sponsors, so I joined their "team" and set a pledge goal of $250, the minimum. With less than a week from signing up to the actual walk, my co-workers pledged $410 and my wife got $805 in pledges from her co-workers.   A total of $1215; not bad for only six days. In total, over $615,000 was raised, which will benefit some 16 local agencies.

The walk route was west along Allen Parkway.  Slow traffic, keep right.


It was quite a colorful crowd, right down to Precious, the purple poodle pup.
 

The weather was simply outstanding: a perfect spring day, and the turnout was huge.  Lots of young'uns showed up, and all of them texting.
 


Ils sont partis!



 
Frankly, I don't know what I was thinking.  About all you can say is that I wasn't thinking. 

I have a recent history of multiple Morton's Neuromas - neuropathy - in my feet.  It's basically a pinched nerve in the foot, and it can be excrutiating.  

 
It's not so bad when sitting, but when I'm walking?  Watch out!  


 
Hey, WTF, let's do a 5k!  It's not really that far.  Only ... just over three MILES!



It's the wife's and my internet self-portrait.  I'm the one on the right, and yeah, she has a funny-shaped head.



I started out ok (thanks to some mild painkillers), but about halfway in, my dogs began howling.  Towards the last 1k, when I could see the "Finish" line in the distance, they were SCREAMING!  The sun broke out from behind a cloud and it got a little hot.  Foot pain, hot temperature....not a great combination.  I limped across the Finish line and sat down as quickly as possible.    
  


I figured though, oh, grow up, you have a little foot pain...people with AIDS and HIV can have it a whole lot worse than I do.   Indeed.

But I don't think I'll be doing another 5k anytime soon.

How are we doing on AIDS?

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching