Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Vinegar

A couple of weeks ago my wife looked at my scooter helmet's visor and asked if I could even see through it, it was so cloudy.  I put it on, and, wow, I actually couldn't see through it.  It had gradually gotten cloudier and cloudier.  So gradually that I hadn't even noticed.  But there was a tough film of crud, road tar, exhaust fumes, and you-name-it caked onto the visor.  It was pretty disgusting, not to mention dangerous.

I searched the internet in vain for a good cleaner for a visor.  Windex?  Forget it.  Dishwasher detergent?  Not hardly.  Regular soap?  Just caused a smear.  High-priced specialty cleaners?  No one on the net suggested those, so I didn't even try that.  Everything I saw on the net and tried didn't work worth a shit.  The internet was NO HELP!!

I had some serious CRUD on my visor.  

Finally, my wife said, how about vinegar?  We've probably all heard the stories about the 1000's of uses for vinegar.  Well, make this 1001.  It took a lot of elbow grease, but it turns out that good ol' vinegar is the ONLY thing that got the visor clean.  Now, it's good as new.  And the solution cost but a few pennies.  What a deal.

Funny thing is, I've read through several websites touting the benefits of vinegar for this and that, but not one of them suggested it was a good cleaner for helmet visors.  I feel like a pioneer, boldly going where none has gone before.  It sure does stink, but it works.  

More uses for vinegar here.  And here.  And here.

What the hell is vinegar anyway?  Go here.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching