Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Monday, June 25, 2007

Finally took the call from the DNC Sunday

In the past, I've given money on a monthly basis to the Democratic National Committee, and the local Harris County Democratic Party. Among others, of course.

I stopped the contributions several months ago, after the Dems re-took the House and Senate in November of '07.
The DNC has been calling me for a few weeks now, and I've been avoiding the calls. They always seemed to call at a bad time when I was busy doing something and didn't want to be interrupted. I knew it was them because my wife answered the phone at one point - it was a 303 Area Code - and said I wasn't in, and so they said they'd call back.

And call back they did. Every day. Often twice, three times a day. Never leaving a message, but I knew that 303 Area Code was them.

So, on Sunday, after the party Saturday, they called again and I finally decided to talk to them.

As usual, a woman on the other end starts reading her script about how there is much work left to do to gain a stronger majority in the Senate and House, and we need your help more than ever, blah blah blah. I let her go on and on and on until she finally got to the moneyline.

"Can we count on you to give $25/month to the DNC, sir?"

"No," I said, and then I launched into a tirade about how pissed off I was about how the Dems just buckled after one veto of the supplemental Iraq spending bill. About how Harry Reid was just a horrible symbol for the Dems at large. About how no one is inspiring me to contribute and help. My voice was rising in pitch and volume. Maybe if some Democrat had just a little eloquence, had just a little SPINE, had just a little CHUTZPAH to stand up to the THUGS in the White House and break thru the media filter, maybe THEN I might be inspired to contribute. But not till then. And BTW, take me off of your phone list.

"Thank you," she said, and hung up. She cratered, without a protest, like most Democrats seem to be doing. How did I end up in such a pussy party?
I felt better after the phone call, but I practically feel like I have no party at all. I may have to change my official status to "independent."

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching