Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Friday, October 26, 2007

I Give A Shit

But I actually do, of course, give a shit. It's just that I'm choosing to disengage from obsessing over politics for awhile. Or else I may go mad and become a very ugly person. The world will most likely continue on the path it is on whether I'm "involved" with it or not.

One person truly can change the world, of course. IF, that person chooses to be involved and put forth the effort. If one chooses to disengage, the world marches on without them.


You can only do so much...


What bothers me a bit, however, is the knowledge that only when enough people get involved will the government do the right thing. Just one example: the Civil Rights Act was not a "gift" bestowed by a benevolent government upon its appreciative subjects. It was fought for tooth and nail and police dog, by the people, and when a critical mass was reached, the government acquiesced.

And yes, I also believe that silence is complicity.

In my case, silence seems essential for my peace of mind.


It's just another paradox of living, in this age, in America, today.

Ten Years After comes to mind...

I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do.

So I'm leaving it up to you.


For now.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching