Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Sunday, April 22, 2012

amiodarone

Well, it looks like I won't be needing a pacemaker after all.  (Call off the wake!)  I took a treadmill stress test and an ultrasound of my ... heart ... this past Tuesday, and Friday I saw my cardiologist to discuss the results.

My expectation was not good.  When the guy was running my ultrasound, my heart was bouncing off its walls.  The treadmill test was pretty short.  Too short, really, because I reached the max heart rate of 165 awfully quickly.  Because of my heart rate bouncing between 80 to 225 on the meter, it took no longer than 6 minutes to reach the max and end the test.  Hell, I hardly got winded at all.

So Friday I met with my cardiodoc and, armed with much more info than he had before, told me to quit the Multaq and start up on amiodarone, one of the most-reliable drugs at treating my condition.  Amiodarone is an anti-arrhythmic, which basically, somehow, gets the heart to start beating at a normal rhythm again.  

Systematic (IUPAC) name
(2-{4-[(2-butyl-1-benzofuran-3-yl)carbonyl]-2,6-diiodophenoxy}ethyl)diethylamine

(The wife also has a history of A-fibs, but hers is treated with a rate-reducing drug, Toprol.  Those are the two primary types of drugs to treat A-fibs: an anti-arrhythmic (mine) and a rate-reducer (hers).  Ain't we a pair!)

The doc felt very confident that, considering my test results, and considering the very detailed recent bloodwork I had just happened to have done by my G.P., that this drug, amiodarone, would do the trick.  He did give me one major caveat: do NOT pay attention to what the internet has to say about this drug.   Said it would just freak me out for no reason.  

He knows that I cruise the net for this, that, and whatever, and he said that I WILL NOT TURN BLUE!  Well, after that, I had to check out the net, and woah!  Go here, among others. He wasn't kidding.   

After just a couple of days on this drug, I'm feeling much, much better.  No racing pulse.  No wildly erratic heart rhythms.  No dizzy spells.  No euphoria (dammit)!  

Now, if I could just purge from my body all of the built-up toxins from living in the modern industrial food and technology era, I may eventually be able to get off of this drug.  Maybe.  But no pacemaker!!  Yea!!  Once again, I narrowly avert that Siberian Tiger out to get my ass.  

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching