Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Saturday, December 19, 2015

shopping=torture

I'm not sure what we were thinking. Actually, I'm not even sure that we WERE thinking.  We actually tried to go to a shopping mall in Houston on Saturday, 6 days before Christmas. It was the worst crush of humanity I have ever experienced. And all of them in their cars.

This holiday season has been a little "off" for us what with a death in the family earlier this month. That put us into a kind of daze. We were functioning, but not with full consciousness, by any means.

So we thought we could go to Memorial City Mall on a Saturday afternoon, 6 days before Christmas. No way we were going to go to the Galleria! We had enough brain cells functioning to realize that THAT would be a disaster. But somehow we thought Memorial City Mall would be fine.

Ha! It took about 30 minutes to even GET there. And then we drove about 1/2 mile per hour for the next 30 minutes, trying in vain to get to any parking space that was going to be occupied anyway. A veritable sea of cars.

If we needed another reason to retire and clear out of this town, we got it today.



Recently I heard that Houston is now officially the fastest-growing city in the United States!  If we needed another reason to retire and clear out of this town....



We never found a space to park. We never got close to a parking space.  There were cops out on the street directing traffic, in contradictory directions.  Wherever the stoplights were, cars were gridlocked. I tried to zen out but I just couldn't do it. 

We finally escaped onto I-10 East and drove to the neighborhood River Oaks Shopping Center. There was traffic, but nothing like the mall. I got lucky and found a great parking spot and the store we were headed to was having a 50% off everything sale. 

In short, fuck the malls. Bring back the neighborhood stores! And we hope you all have a Happy Solstice Season!  


No comments:

remember

remember

deja vu

deja vu

indeed

indeed

Probably

Probably

Delete Fox "News"

Delete Fox "News"

Smells really bad

Smells really bad

Applies to Trump

Applies to Trump

Trump is the enemy

Trump is the enemy

2024 Election

2024 Election

$132 billion

$132 billion

Remember

Remember

too true

too true

Didn't realize the GOP hated America so much.

Didn't realize the GOP hated America so much.