Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Amsterdam Day 4

The only thing we put on the agenda for today, Saturday, 9 June, was a 16:15 visit to the Van Gogh Museum. We had been to this museum back in 2008 and I remember being really impressed with it, just blown away. It's an easy walk from our hotel. Shoot, most things in Amsterdam are an easy walk from wherever you are, at least in the inner city.



Sadly, the experience this time was nowhere near that one. Naturally, museums will change up their displays from time to time. Of course I understand that. But this visit seemed pretty incoherent, totally jumbled. And would a little more air-conditioning break the bank? I know we are far north in Holland and I know that many (or most) homes here do not have A/C, but in a museum? With tons of people?

a picture of us taking a picture
The fact that the place was crowded as hell certainly did not help at all. It was difficult to get very close to many of the pieces. The places to sit were few and far between. Sure, you want to keep people moving through the museum, but what's wrong with benches here and there so people can rest for a minute? There are many of us that are disabled or partially disabled, and a bench can be a real lifeline.

the famous self-portrait I never found
They have added a multimedia aspect to the museum, like they have done with practically every museum I have been to for the last few years. For an extra 2 Euro, you get headphones and a device to listen in multiple languages. Wherever there is a little plaque with a number on the wall, you dial in that number and listen to the narration for that piece. But with so many people around, I'm sure I missed several of the numbers. 


Frankly, this visit, I just came away rather numb and annoyed. If this had been a first-time visit for me, I don't think I would come back. Still, overall, we had another nice day in Amsterdam. No hurry, no fuss, just a disappointing trip to the Van Gogh.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching