Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Blind Loyalty?

Dan Rather takes the position that I have held recently. That is: let the dissenters speak, let those who are worried about Biden speak out and be heard. This does not mean, of course, that we have to agree with them or automatically disagree with them. The open discussion of ideas and, well, everything, is part of the American experience. 


Blind Loyalty? That’s the Other Guy

The Democrats need discourse, not discord


It’s been too hot in Texas to spend any meaningful time outside, which has left this reporter with few options except to watch the post-debate discourse on social media and cable news. Big mistake. Frankly, I am alarmed at what I’m witnessing. If you wonder why Donald Trump has been so quiet lately, it’s because he doesn’t need to campaign. Why waste a good lie and ad dollars when he can sit back and watch the Democrats implode? 

President Biden insists he’s in it to stay, bad debate or not. Those who question that decision, or support his withdrawal, are now being told some version of salute and get in line, don’t rock the boat, or change can’t happen. It’s similar to an expression by an old Texas football coach who once said you have to “dance with the one who brung you.” To do otherwise is apparently not acceptable.

It is shocking to me that to criticize Biden is now being labeled as blasphemous. To worry about our democracy under a president who is losing a step – or worse — is seen as unpatriotic or even somehow showing tacit support for Trump. 

In the same breath, I hear, “What about Trump? Why isn’t the media calling on him to get out?” I won’t speak for others, but at Steady I can point to hundreds of posts written over the past several years about why he is unfit to serve. If our position is unclear, then I have failed. Going forward, we will continue to highlight his lies and generally outrageous behavior.

Whether Biden should stay in the race is a discussion we all must be having. Yes, keeping Trump out of D.C. forever is vital. But to be silenced and shamed for the very act of questioning Biden’s ability to lead is undemocratic. We are better than that. If we have learned anything in the last eight years, it is that blind loyalty is dangerous — see Trump, Donald J.  

I am not, repeat NOT, endorsing a Biden withdrawal from the race. Nor am I endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris, or anyone else. What I am endorsing is a conversation about strategy, one without intimidation. To be shouted down for raising your voice is un-American.

If this angers you, I’m sorry. I get it. The unknown is almost as terrifying as another four years of Donald Trump. But I am here to tell you, to the best of my ability in the days I have left on this earth, the truth, or as close to it as possible. And sometimes that is not pleasant. But our democracy needs a big injection of truth right now. And I mean right now, as in today.  

If we were kept in the dark by our journalists, or even worse, the White House staff or Biden campaign purposely deceiving us about the president’s health, it is beyond troubling. This cannot be swept under the rug. It needs sunshine. 

The loudest argument against having an open discussion is a lack of time to change course, which is, frankly, insulting. This is America. We can and will do what’s needed to protect our great country. Never say can’t … that’s a word on the outside of my vocabulary looking in. If you want the side eye from me, tell me something can’t be done.  

One final note — I’m most proud of the comments section on Steady. It is an open forum where intelligent, well-informed people have smart, civil debates. In response to a post last week, many of you were upset with even the notion of questioning the present course. That is your right. It is also the right of others to talk about a different way forward. Please allow them to do so.  

If you value independent journalism that provides critical information to protect our democracy, please consider upgrading as a supporting member. It allows me to keep Steady sustainable and free for those who cannot afford it, especially in an election season when we need everyone to see it. Thank you.

Original. 


No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching