Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars is a novel by Peter Heller, not a reference to a constellation or some bizarre sexual technique.

I was at the downtown branch of the Houston Public Library last week and they had about 50 of these books covering an entire display.   So I gave it a shot.

Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. 319 pages consumed in about 48 hours is probably a record for me.  

The book is set in the near-future, after a flu pandemic has wiped out most of the world's people and those who are still around are on guard from raiders and marauders.  Normally, I shun the apocalyptic stuff, but this one is worth it.

The book starts off pretty bleak and depressing, but at the risk of a spoiler alert, it ends rather hopefully.  That's all I'll say.  That, and, well, of course the dog dies and I cried my eyes out.  If you've ever owned a pet, especially a dog, you'll probably cry too.  What can I say?  I'm a sensitive guy.

This book could EASILY be made into a good movie. Look for it in a year or two.

If you'd like to read a review, here's a good one.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching