Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars is a novel by Peter Heller, not a reference to a constellation or some bizarre sexual technique.

I was at the downtown branch of the Houston Public Library last week and they had about 50 of these books covering an entire display.   So I gave it a shot.

Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. 319 pages consumed in about 48 hours is probably a record for me.  

The book is set in the near-future, after a flu pandemic has wiped out most of the world's people and those who are still around are on guard from raiders and marauders.  Normally, I shun the apocalyptic stuff, but this one is worth it.

The book starts off pretty bleak and depressing, but at the risk of a spoiler alert, it ends rather hopefully.  That's all I'll say.  That, and, well, of course the dog dies and I cried my eyes out.  If you've ever owned a pet, especially a dog, you'll probably cry too.  What can I say?  I'm a sensitive guy.

This book could EASILY be made into a good movie. Look for it in a year or two.

If you'd like to read a review, here's a good one.

No comments:

remember

remember

deja vu

deja vu

indeed

indeed

Probably

Probably

Delete Fox "News"

Delete Fox "News"

Smells really bad

Smells really bad

Applies to Trump

Applies to Trump

Trump is the enemy

Trump is the enemy

2024 Election

2024 Election

$132 billion

$132 billion

Remember

Remember

too true

too true

Didn't realize the GOP hated America so much.

Didn't realize the GOP hated America so much.