Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Alan Grayson

Over the course of 2014, I donated a bit of money to Alan Grayson (D-FL09). He's one of the few Democratic politicians that has continued to talk the talk and walk the walk, so I figured it was worth a few bucks.

He recently put out a "Christmas Card" to his constituents and contributors. I have to say I think it was money well-placed.

Are we still looking for challengers for Hillary Clinton?

This year, during this holiday season, I am extending to you, John or Jane Q. Public, the same Christmas gifts that the millionaires and the billionaires and the multinational corporations get from our public servants in Washington, DC, each and every year: 

Tax cuts. 

Do you have a mortgage that exceeds 80% of the value of your home? I got you a tax break on your mortgage insurance. That was my bill H.R. 3941. 

Do you live in a state that taxes sales more than income? I got you tax break on your state and local sales taxes. That was my bill H.R. 3942. 

Are you in college, or do you pay for a family member in college? I got you a tax break on tuition. That was my bill H.R. 3943. 

Do you want to make charitable contributions from your IRA? I got you a tax deduction for that. That was my bill H.R. 3944. 

Are you a business owner who employs our active-duty soldiers and sailors? I got you a tax credit for that. That's my bill H.R. 3946. 

Are you a retailer who has made improvements in your stores? I got you accelerated depreciation for that. That was my bill H.R. 3948. 

Are you a restaurant owner, farmer or food manufacturer who contributes food to the hungry? I got you an extra charitable deduction for that. That was my bill H.R. 3949. 

Are you a homeowner who has made home improvements to cut your energy costs? I got you a tax credit for that. Those were my bills H.R. 3950 and H.R. 3951. 

Waaaaaaaaay back in January 2014, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, I introduced those nine bills to extend important middle class tax breaks. Earlier this month, after a year of incessant badgering by me, the Powers That Be lumped them all together in H.R. 5771, using my exact words in each case, and placing them in H.R. 5771 in the same order in which I had introduced them. There were 52 sections to H.R. 5771. I wrote nine of them - the nine sections that might actually make a difference in your life, assuming that you are neither David Koch nor Charles Koch. 

H.R. 5771 passed the House on Dec. 3. It passed the Senate on Dec. 16. The President signed my nine middle-class tax breaks into law last Friday. 

If you are a beneficiary of any of those nine Grayson tax breaks, you're welcome. 

By the way, when was the last time that you heard any progressive Democrat say these words: "I got that passed. I got that signed into law." Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? 

You may wonder how a second-term Congressman, in the minority party, who does not sit on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, managed to get nine different tax breaks passed in a single year. Good question. I'll answer that next time. 

In the meantime, please enjoy your Grayson Christmas gifts. Your Chanukah gelt. Your Kwanzaa karamu. 

Enjoy! Enjoy! 

Courage, 

Rep. Alan Grayson


No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching