Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

There just seems something vapid about all the "Support Our Troops" stuff we see constantly.  Although, I don't hear it as often as when Bush was "President."

Republicans are notorious for bowing deeply before the military, and yet, when they had a chance to help veterans, they voted down the "Veteran's Job Act."  And they have mercilessly slashed Veteran's benefits, including food stamps.  Hey, guess what?  A whole lot of veterans (900,000!!!) are on the food stamp program.


Well, at least we give them a parade, eh?

Do you need more evidence of the GOP's callousness regarding veterans?  Go here.

Oh well, Support our Troops!!  (What? Symbolically only?)

It's unreal that we are so gung ho about sending our boys off to combat, and yet, when they return, they practically get a cold shoulder. Thousands of veterans are among the ranks of the nation's homeless. Shameful, if we were capable of it.

I do love a parade though.  There is something stirring about a marching band.  Maybe it has something to do with tubas and cymbals honking and crashing in your face.

I had an eagle-eye vantage point for the Veteran's Day parade in Houston today, as I work on the 11th floor of a downtown building, and the parade route went along two sides of my building.  The tank (up top) was rather startling to see.  


It was very moving, however, when a huge U.S. flag almost the width of the entire downtown street and held aloft by 100 or so people slowly marched down the street.  I admit I sensed a swelling up with pride.  


For all of it's warts, I'm still quite proud of the entire legacy of the United States.  I can't really think of any other nation I'd rather have been born in.  We've had our fuck-ups, though. We've intervened illegally in nations around the globe to further our own interests.  We've polluted the hell out of the place.  We've enslaved entire races of people.  

But considering the entire arc of this nation's time on Earth, I am glad to be an American and I'm hopeful that we will have some very bright days ahead.  

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching