Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Mortality

I've enjoyed Christopher Hitchen's sharp wit and tongue for a long while.  It was very sad to see him passing away, in Houston, in 2011.

Sadder still was reading his final book, Mortality, which is a chronology of sorts of Hitchens final years.  Thank you, Chris, for keeping this book short.  It is excrutiatingly painful to read. The book is grippingly gruesome in it's detail of the nasty effects of cancer.  He certainly had a way with words.

The topper was reading the Afterward, penned by Hitchens wife, Carol Blue.  

I cried for a good 10 minutes.  I daresay a book has not affected me this negatively since ... ever.  So far, I can't shake the feeling of impending doom that has befallen me since finishing this book.  

It's also got me contemplating my eventual demise.

My advice?  Do not read this book.  Others may disagree.

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching