Never pass up a chance to sit down or relieve yourself. -old Apache saying

Thursday, June 25, 2015

SCOTUS rules

As most of the country hoped, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) has upheld the legality of subsidies paid under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), aka "Obamacare."

This means that the citizens of Texas, of which I am one, will now be able to receive a subsidy from the federal government to help us afford healthcare under the ACA.  No doubt Texas politicians will be fuming.  If they had any sense of decency, they would go ahead and expand Medicare to help out millions of Texans who struggle to pay medical costs.  That is, IF they had a sense of decency. There is no evidence of decency.

I am on the verge of retirement.  We have been waiting to see what the SCOTUS was going to do about this subsidy case.  We didn't want to get healthcare under the ACA if the SCOTUS was going to rip away the subsidies.  I suppose that the thought of taking insurance away from over 10 million people gave them pause.


Now, we have some certainty.  I suppose that it is more likely now that we will go ahead and retire and obtain insurance under the ACA.  I could get good healthcare from my current employer if, and only if, I were to continue to work for them until November of 2017.  I don't want to do that.

One thing causing questions in my head is my cardiologist.  He has always seemed to be a regular, trustworthy guy, and he insists that Obamacare is a boondoggle.  He insists that a lot of people that are getting coverage are discovering that the coverage does not cover near the costs it is purported to cover.  I have not been able to talk with him in detail about it, but he seems quite sincere.  He is not a rabid Republican, so this bugs me somewhat.  His message, READ THE FINE PRINT VERY CAREFULLY.
 

No comments:

He's always watching

He's always watching