Books will be written about Trump, his sycophantic scared minions and his devil spawn, and I will probably not read a one of them. I've had enough of the circus charlatan by living through it. I look forward to the day when we no longer will have to worry about what our president is up to. That day is coming.
Many of us have been trying to understand Donald Trump and what drives him for years. We analyze his mental health as if we’re experts and we look back on all he’s done throughout his life and marvel that he’s been able to get away with it all. I honestly believe he’s everything we think he is, from certifiably insane to diabolically evil with no socially redeeming qualities nor a soul. Endless books have been written about him, from those closest to him to casual observers, and all pretty much end up with same conclusion. He is simply everything we think he is with the only remaining question being how it all ends? I hope I live long enough to find out the answer but I hope it’s soon just in case.
Lately however I’ve been thinking more about his defenders and supporters than I have been about him. I keep asking myself why anyone still believes in him. He hasn’t made anyone’s life better unless you count the very wealthy. He hasn’t kept any of his promises nor has he has proven that he is even trying to. His “base” continues to pay a heavy price for their faith in him and the future hardly looks brighter today for them than it did before. So what is the attraction? I seriously can’t understand it.
I mean once we eliminate the racists, who are afraid of people of color stealing their white privilege, and the 1%ers, what drives these people? We can blame ignorance, and that certainly is part of it, but sometimes even stupid people realize they’ve been hoodwinked eventually. The problem is that not all of them are stupid, racist, or obscenely wealthy. I watched two examples today of politicians basically surrender their conscience to him and another do everything but give him a BJ on air.
Mike Johnson, or Eddie Haskell as I call him, was the latter, but Mike Lawler and Spencer Cox surprised me with their unconditional surrender. BTW if you don’t get the Eddie Haskell reference try to remember Leave It To Beaver. Anyway, back to Cox and Lawler. Cox is typically a centrist R with a book out about working across the aisle to find an off ramp for the hatred in our politics. When pressed about the felon’s $5,000 promise he shifted immediately to easing restrictions on building permits. A deflection that truly boggled my mind. And Lawler, who didn’t believe a word of what he was saying, sold his soul to secure the funding his tight congressional race needs so desperately. He knew that even a mild disagreement with Trump would mean he’d run out of money with only weeks to go before Election Day. It was hard to watch these two embarrass themselves so thoroughly, but follow the money and it becomes much clearer. Speaking of money the GOP has far more than does team blue and since they have nothing positive to offer their voters get ready for an onslaught of negative ads against their opponents. It’s going to be epic and not in a good way. The mudslinging has just begun but trust me we ain’t seen nothing yet. Hang on to your hats friends, ugly is about to get even uglier if you can believe that. Thank god for Law and Order reruns and DVRs.
No comments:
Post a Comment